"Armour's McArthur Basin project in Northern Territory and North Queensland constitutes a Frontier Basin target for a globally important new province that will provide for re-rating of Armour in the future."
- Nicholas Mather, Executive Chairman
In September 2016, the Northern Territory Government announced a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing of onshore unconventional reservoirs including the use of hydraulic fracturing for exploration, extraction and production, including Diagnostic Fracture Injection Testing. This moratorium places a halt on any territory-wide activity for Amour until the moratorium is lifted.
Northern Territory Oil and Gas Play
Conventional and Unconventional
Results to date
- 193 conventional leads and prospects targeting 4.9 TCF of gas prospective resources (best estimate)
- Glyde 1 discovery well (2012): 3.3 MMscf per day at vertical depth of just 600m
- 5 discoveries from 6 wild cat wells
- >80% exploration success
- Targeting Conventional Coxco Dolomite
- Current gas prospective resource of 30 TCF (best estimate)
- Multiple basins, proven petroleum systems
- Multiple shales formations present (oil and gas)
- Drill ready conventional prospects
- Commercialise through Daly Waters to McArthur River lateral pipeline or under construction Northern Gas Pipeline
- Early monetisation
- Large unexplored areas
- Stacked play opportunities
- Large scale production of gas and associated liquids
- Further production testing Glyde-1 and seismic
- De-risk drilling targets and further exploration and appraisal
- Gas production for Domestic market
- Regional seismic programme
- Drill and appraise deep stratigraphic well(s)
Northern Gas pipeline Project (NGp)
The Northern Territory Government has selected Jemena Northern Gas Pipeline Pty Ltd to construct and operate the Pipeline. The Northern Route for the new pipeline has been selected from Tennant Creek, Northern Territory to Mount Isa, Queensland and is expected to traverse Armour's Exploration Permits (EP) 177 and 178.
The new pipeline is a significant enabler for upstream gas projects in the Northern Territory. It will provide additional and large scale market access for vast gas resources identified in recent years by Amour Energy and other explorers in the Northern Territory by connecting this new petroleum province to growing east coast gas markets.
The NGP is a very positive development for the gas industry. A new major long term supply of gas from the Northern Territory to the East Coast of Australia will create jobs and economic development for the Northern Territory including important opportunities for its indigenous population, and will assist to ease pressure on rising gas prices.
Armour is looking forward to further developing its huge gas resources in Northern Australia and to becoming a major supplier of gas to Australian domestic and export markets.